Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Look Into: Professional Pumpkin Carvings and Local Haunts

The most important symbol of Halloween is of course the jack-o-latern and as the time grows nearer both young and old will be in search for the perfect pumpkin to carve. Front porches and sidewalks across the nation will proudly display their creativity. I love looking at them, and can’t help but be surprised at the unique artistry and creativity that has gone into some of them.

clip_image002[8]

Mine on the other hand, look the same today as when I was a child…terrible.

Every year since I can remember the jagged teeth that I try so carefully to create end up with my pumpkin being toothless, eyes too far apart and a top that doesn’t sit right. For years I have found comfort in telling myself that I just need more practice. That however…was forty plus jack-o-lanterns ago. So, I am left with the realization that I have been living in denial. I simply can’t carve pumpkins; there-I finally said it.

But all is not lost since my children seem to have a least some talent in that area. As they proudly display their creations on the front porch I simply turn mine to face the front door so that only the immediate family is reminded that I cannot carve a pumpkin. But, that’s ok, I have finally come to terms;).

So now that I have come to terms, I have a deeper appreciation for those with real carving abilities. I thought everyone might enjoy checking out some serious pumpkin carvers. Using very large pumpkins Steve’s Pumpkin Art is truly amazing.

image image

Ray Villafane is another great pumpkin sculptor. This picture is just one of his many magnificently detailed pumpkins.

image

This house was decorated with over 3,000 carved jack-o-lanterns!

Halloween Pumpkins Galore has some very unique pictures of pumpkins that were carved by various artists.

image

Since Halloween falls on a Saturday this year, there will be plenty of time to get out and visit some of the local hauntings. Below I have listed a few here in Missouri. But, no matter where you live I wish you all a very safe and frightfully fun weekend!

Fright Fest: Six Flags, St. Louis, MO

Maullers Frightmare: Joplin, MO

Faulkners Pumpkin Farm: Kansas City, MO

Halloween @ Dickerson Park Zoo: Springfield, MO

Verona Corn Maze: Verona, MO

These guys have all kinds of things to do!

23298 Lawrence 1150, Verona, MO 65769. Phone: 417-498-6191. Directions: From highway 60: Six miles West of Aurora, take the Verona turn off (Business 60) and go one mile. Take the first right (Farm Road 1150) for 1 mile. Get lost in The MAiZE! From I-44: Take Exit 46 in Mt. Vernon (Hwy. 39 & 265) going South for 5 miles. Turn right (West) on highway P and follow it for 5 miles to Verona. Turn right (West) on Business 60 for 1 mile. Turn left on Farm Road 1150 for 1 mile.

“Happy Halloween”!

No comments:

Post a Comment